Friday, April 20, 2012

Treating Yourself

I am soooo busy.  Way too busy.  I work, I am involved in ministry, I have one very active child at home and three older kids.  Sometimes I wonder how I even manage.  Organization.  That is what it is all about for me.  But that isn't what I am talking about today, I wanted to share with you how I take time out for myself, treat myself to little things.  It is so important to be healthy physically and emotionally when you are a single mom.  It makes life so much easier.

I treat myself to coffee a couple of times a week. For me this is pure pleasure!  It may sound dumb to some people, but when I take that first sip of my Non-fat, Decaf, White Chocolate Mocha with Whip I feel like I have gone to heaven.  It is sooo good! It just starts my day off right.  When I am tight on the funds I buy the cappachino from Aldi with whip cream and that is an amazing substitute!  They only have it in the winter, which I think is the dumbest thing in the world, but I just bought out the store last month so I would have some through the summer!  Ok, maybe I need to check into a coffee support group. Hey, I sleep alone, so something has to give me pleasure right? :)  I deserve that.

Ok, that is one thing I do for myself.  Another thing I am trying to do is make time to exercise.  It clears my head and I feel good about myself when I do it.  It is hard with a seven year old, and I work so i can't do it while she is in school.  Sometimes I walk around the lake while she rides her bike.  I just joined the YMCA and she loves going into the daycare there.  It is important to make that time for yourself so you can be healthy. A healthy mom is a better mom!

I also make sure I am in tune with my body and emotions.  I have to make sure I am doing well emotionally or I tend to take it out on my kids.  I don't have the tolerance that I need when I am depressed, anxious or stressed.  So I have to stay in touch with myself to make sure I take care of it before it gets worse.  For example, I have triggers in my life that can take me down fast.  I can get depressed about something and not even realize it until it is pretty bad.  When I am depressed, I tend to watch a lot of TV to get my mind off things and just zone out. My little girl needs A LOT of attention. When she isn't getting attention from me, she is naughty.  By her being naughty, it feeds my depression and wanting to get away.  It just spirals downward.  What I have to do is realize it is happening and make changes to go back up.  Take her on a date, snuggle her, play with her.  I also need to listen to Christian music, turn the TV off, do something productive and exercise and of course PRAY.  Those all help me come out of my depression. I could choose to wallow in my depression for a long time, but that isn't good for my children or myself.  So I take charge and fix it!

The last thing I want to share is that I go on a scrapbooking retreat every year.  Don't ask me how I make this happen, because it is hard to get everything in place.  I usually sign up right after the current years trip because I know that I need it.  However, as the trip comes closer I start to stress out and wonder why I do this every year.  Once I am there, it is complete bliss.  I don't even scrap people!  This last time I literally just talked the whole time!  I needed that so bad.  Talking with adults.  It was so refreshing and just what I needed.

Sometimes I feel guilty for doing things for myself.  What single mom has the finances, time or energy for that?  It is definitely a decision for me to do these things, but I am a better mom because of them.  And really isn't that what is important?  What do you do for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment